Hi fellow PJ-party-ers!
I’d expected to be taking these photos out on the patio in the June sunshine, but it’s been far too gloomy and drizzly here in the UK… in fact, perfect weather to stay in pyjamas all day!
This is my second bash at the Tofino pattern – I was fortunate enough to be a pattern tester before it was released. Back then, I got so excited that I ended up with a touch of GBSBF (Great British Sewing Bee fever)… aka limited time and strong desire to impress, leading to over-ambitious sewing projects. Aha, I’ll be different, thought I: I’ll use satin! With a lace overlay! Plus satin piping!
Maybe it would’ve been better with firmer fabrics, rather than these slightly stretchy cheap ones… which slid and shifted all over the place, and I couldn’t get those puckers out of the seams. And the green stuff frayed like crazy. Still, I’d hope Patrick and May would say it was an interesting concept, even if my sewing techniques let it down…
So for this second version, I went for a nice woven cotton – from a duvet cover that I picked up on eBay for a few pounds. I skipped the piping for easiness, but even without it, those side panels are fun to play with! I switched the direction of the stripes to make things interesting (and it avoided any pesky odd stripe mis-matching along the seams).
Sorry to bore you all with the maternity adaptations, but for any pregnant ladies out there, these work really well. The front is cut lower than the back anyway, great for fitting under the bump – I just lowered everything a little bit extra (1″ around the back, increasing slightly to 1.5″ off along the front).
As people are fond of telling me, I’ll probably be spending large chunks of my maternity leave in my pyjamas – so at least they’ll be stylish ones. Thanks for the pattern Tasia, and nice job on hosting the party, Karen!