This handbag is a well-used old favourite. I vividly remember buying it while I was still at school, attracted by the bright orange and that curve design. Over the last decade, it has truly proved itself, with its variety of pockets and perfect size – not too small, not too big.
It’s done a stirling job, but now it’s time to retire into the depths of my wardrobe – that peeling on the faux leather straps is getting worse all over, and the whole thing generally looks a bit tatty.
But I still love that curve design… so I got measuring and drafting, and came up with this:
Most of these fabrics have been in my stash for years – the ‘tea garden’ blossom linen/cotton mix was a bargain in a John Lewis sale years ago, and the satin was leftover from my birthday dress. The only new buy is the irresistable Tilda oriental bird fabric – I limited myself to one fat quarter, which I managed to eke out just enough to make the pockets as well as the top/front of the bag.
Yes, those are huge pockets between the corduroy curve layer and the birds! With magnetic snaps to secure them – I’m loving magnetic snaps. Don’t they look professional? And they don’t need any sewing!
The straps took a bit of trial and error, and eventually quite a bit of hand-stitching, but they finally went in:
This is only the second bag I’ve made, but I’m already hooked on the process. For me, it’s all that iron-on interfacing… it makes everything so crisp and neat and satisfying. I’m not usually the neatest of sewists, but the boxy shape and lines somehow made me take extra care –
e.g. lining up the pattern (even though it decapitated some birds 🙁 )
and setting the zip in both the main and lining fabric… and even making a custom zip tab:
All in all, one of those projects that cost next-to-nothing in materials, but was a labour of love in terms of time! Somehow though, I don’t think this’ll be the last one…
PS. Big thankyou to my awesome father-in-law for taking the pictures!